Imagine if Larry Ellison lost the America's Cup.
Imagine if the third-richest American -- the guy who made the race so expensive that only billionaires (and poor Team New Zealand) could enter -- became the man who lost the Cup. Imagine if the next race were held Down Under, with cheaper boats that don't kill people -- and no taxpayer subsidy from San Francisco.
I'm rooting for the upset. Go Kiwis.
Seriously: Ellison is an asshole, he's refused to pay for his own race party, possibly sticking San Francisco with as much as $20 million in unpaid bills. Yeah, he's the American in the America's Cup, but I really don't care if the trophy stays in this country.
New Zealand's having trouble coming up the money for all the last-minute equipment changes, but I don't see that team dropping out. The folks from NZ want this, and they want it bad. New Zealanders probably care more about the Cup than Americans do. Beating Ellison, with his unlimited cash and unlimited arrogance, would be a huge source of national pride.
So I'll be out there watching the races, but I won't be cheering the home team. And I'll go home happy if Larry's a loser.
Most Commented On
- I want the type of housing Marc Solomon has - July 30, 2014
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 30, 2014
- He would never help a homeless person - July 30, 2014
- What i know about you is that commenting on blogs is - July 30, 2014
- Re-read what I said - I wasn't advocating policy at all. - July 30, 2014
- Does everything have to be - July 30, 2014
- Except that the "political process" encourages development - July 30, 2014
- Yes, I decide the appropriate - July 30, 2014
- Why would you force those - July 30, 2014
- The market knows no reason,it - July 30, 2014