There have been a lot of really stupid members of the esteemed House of Representatives and the United States Senate. I'm talking real morons here -- not just people who are dumb because they disagree with me and I'm always right. In fact, there are quite a few before Todd Akin who have promoted the Magical Vagina Power theory that says women who are raped can't get pregnant. Jezebel has a handy-dandy guide here.
(The guide also notes the insanity of distinguishing "legitimate rape" from ... what? Sorta, kinda rape? Is that like being a little bit pregnant -- which might be what happens from a little bit of rape? Seriously?)
Of course, Rep. Steven King thinks teenagers can't get pregnant, either.
There's a nice list here of the ten dumbest members of Congress, but a lot of that's political: Rand Paul bellieves a lot of stupid things, but he's not dumb. Not like Akin.
Counterpunch gave the honor to Rick Santorum, a "vacuous boob."
Esquire lists the worst members of Congress, but they aren't all dumb. Some are just, you know, crooks, liars, and sleazeballs.
Daily Kos likes Louis Gohmert for the Stupidist Person in Congress award.
We could go on -- and all of these lists are current. Go back a few years and you'll find plenty more.
So help me out here -- is Akin the dumbest Congressman ever? (There have no doubt been dumb Congresswomen, but I think in this category the guys have it.) Who else belongs on the list?
Most Commented On
- "Caring about people" in SFBG terms means wanting higher taxes. - May 22, 2013
- Xorauguynavjlhh - May 22, 2013
- So what? As always, the smart folks will adapt and those who - May 22, 2013
- Chromefields, projecting much? - May 22, 2013
- I think that every person should care about themselves and - May 22, 2013
- The current tech bubble will - May 22, 2013
- Nah, the unwashed in SF are far too lazy and self-absorbed - May 22, 2013
- Yep, and the "Shell Solution" will be more expensive. - May 22, 2013
- Yep, Basta, that was the experience in Boston when RC went away - May 22, 2013
- Rich people are much better at getting out of paying taxes - May 22, 2013