If the America's Cup fundraising committee can't come up with $32 million, the city's going to be on the hook for a big chunk of change -- as much as $22 million -- budget analyst Harvey Rose says. Just for the record, I'd like to point out that the America's Cup won't just be an economic bonanza for the city (if it in fact turns out to attract a lot of people) -- it will be a huge advertising and public-relations boon for Oracle Corp, which will have its singature logo and the sail of its boat. Larry Ellison, who will be helping skipper the boat, will be all over the news. You won't be able to read a newspaper or watch the TV news or read anything online about the cup race without seeing the Oracle logo. You can't buy that kind of exposure for any level of money.
And as far as I know, Ellison hasn't contribute a dime to this fundraising committee.
For the record -- and I'm pretty sure I have the math right -- $22 million would be less than one tenth of one percent of Ellison's net worth.
Larry, for god's sake: Write out a check.
Most Commented On
- I want the type of housing Marc Solomon has - July 30, 2014
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 30, 2014
- He would never help a homeless person - July 30, 2014
- What i know about you is that commenting on blogs is - July 30, 2014
- Re-read what I said - I wasn't advocating policy at all. - July 30, 2014
- Does everything have to be - July 30, 2014
- Except that the "political process" encourages development - July 30, 2014
- Yes, I decide the appropriate - July 30, 2014
- Why would you force those - July 30, 2014
- The market knows no reason,it - July 30, 2014