If the America's Cup fundraising committee can't come up with $32 million, the city's going to be on the hook for a big chunk of change -- as much as $22 million -- budget analyst Harvey Rose says. Just for the record, I'd like to point out that the America's Cup won't just be an economic bonanza for the city (if it in fact turns out to attract a lot of people) -- it will be a huge advertising and public-relations boon for Oracle Corp, which will have its singature logo and the sail of its boat. Larry Ellison, who will be helping skipper the boat, will be all over the news. You won't be able to read a newspaper or watch the TV news or read anything online about the cup race without seeing the Oracle logo. You can't buy that kind of exposure for any level of money.
And as far as I know, Ellison hasn't contribute a dime to this fundraising committee.
For the record -- and I'm pretty sure I have the math right -- $22 million would be less than one tenth of one percent of Ellison's net worth.
Larry, for god's sake: Write out a check.
Most Commented On
- google genentech, UCSF bus BS - May 24, 2013
- what's up with all the weirdo - May 24, 2013
- ''Kinda Creepy With All The Sex Shit'' - May 24, 2013
- True, Scram, I also get why Tim brought JW in. - May 24, 2013
- Plus, even skilled union - May 24, 2013
- Nah, Oakland is nowhere close to being gentrified. - May 24, 2013
- Another Thing I Learned On The Radio - May 24, 2013
- Yep, he is obviously feeling guilty about something. - May 24, 2013
- Tim Redmond... For real, this new guys sucks. Like, really bad. - May 24, 2013
- Oakland's gain is Oakland's - May 24, 2013