After ducking the issue for more than a week, Attorney General Kamala Harris has finally weighed in on the feds crackdown on medical marijuana. Just after Assemblymember Tom Ammiano and state Sen. Mark Leno denounced the bizarre move by the U.S. attorneys, Harris issued a weak, lame and overall pointless statement that shows she is unwilling to be a leader on this issue. The statement doesn't even appear on the front page of her website.
Here's what she has to say:
Harris said she was worried that “an overly broad federal enforcement campaign will make it more difficult for legitimate patients to access physician-recommended medicine in California.”
She urged federal authorities to make sure their enforcement efforts are focused on significant traffickers of illegal drugs.
Come on, Kamala. This is a blatant effort by the Obama Administration to overrule state law. It's an attack on an industry that creates jobs, pays taxes and helps sick people. It's another front in the failed War on (some) Drugs. And you're the chief law enforcement officer in the state of California, charged by the Constitution to defend state statutes, including Prop. 215. You can do a lot better than this.
Harris should have joined Ammiano and Leno at their press conference. She should have pointed out that the state is trying to regulate dispensaries, but the federal government has made that almost impossible by pulling this kind of shit.
And the most frustrating this is that Harris could actually make a difference here. What, exactly, is she hiding from? Does she think fighting the U.S. attorneys will make her look soft on drugs or crime and hurt her changes to be elected governor? Doesn't she realize that medical marijuana is really popular with the voters and that the anti-pot crowd is almost gone?
Dumb. Frustrating and dumb.
Most Commented On
- OMG, you mean that the police sometimes have to use force to - May 22, 2013
- No Hysteria - May 22, 2013
- asking this question makes him a bigot? - May 22, 2013
- can't have your gluten-free - May 22, 2013
- Who is riled? He gave us a soft pitch. - May 22, 2013
- I disagree. - May 22, 2013
- Dude, his point was that it is whites who get uppity. - May 22, 2013
- Wow. Hilarious. "google is - May 22, 2013
- Again, your big argument seems to be that someone who - May 22, 2013
- Blitzer is pure beltway hack - May 22, 2013