Michael Nava, who is running for Superior Court judge in San Francisco, tipped me to a fascinating document that's on the website of the California Judicial Council. It's a spreadsheet breaking down the ethnicity and gender of all the justices and trial court judges in the state. And it's pretty depressing.
In 2010, 73 percent of all trial court judges in the state are white, and 70 percent are male. A full 81 percent of the Court of Appeal judges are white, and 70 percent are male. That's astonishing.
Some counties are even worse: The Marin County judiciary is 100 percent white. Same for Napa County. San Francisco's a little better, at 66 percent white (but in a city with a majority non-white population, it's hardly representative).
Check out the pdf here.
Most Commented On
- Xorauguynafnvji - May 21, 2013
- Mission of the Commons has - May 21, 2013
- Right wing trash. See how the - May 21, 2013
- I get your point and agree, - May 21, 2013
- San Francisco's loss, - May 21, 2013
- Project much? - May 21, 2013
- Troll. Another miserable, - May 21, 2013
- You're right, there is no similarity - May 21, 2013
- Can't you see? It's about the mainstreaming of troll talk. - May 21, 2013
- Troll - May 21, 2013