Localized Appreesh is our thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
That’ll teach me to judge a book by its cover; or better yet, to judge a whole lineup by its headliners. I first caught the Parmesans opening up for Buffalo Tooth, Poor Sons, and Uzi Rash at Elbo Room this summer, so I naturally assumed they’d be in the same thrashy vein, or at least, they’d play some variation on the loud rockn’roll theme. Untrue: they lined up, strumming guitars, banjos, a mandolin, a stand-up bass, and the like, and launched into a fun set of bluegrass, folk, and Americana ditties, some covers and some originals.
Since then, I’ve been casually following along, occasionally checking their band page for upcoming shows and releases. Turns out, they’re doing one of those Halloween shows I love (bands costumed as other bands, c’mon, I’ve talking about it all week) and they have another record release coming later this month. Get in on the Parmesans early, check them out as the Kinks tonight at Thee Parkside, and read up below:
Year and location of origin: 2012, San Francisco
Band name origin: After partaking in the Devil's lettuce, it seemed like a good idea.
Band motto: [none]
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Something new and something old.
Instrumentation: Guitars and mandolins and basses and banjos and trumpets.
Most recent release: Uncle Dad's Cabin and Horse Crumbs were released back to back earlier this year.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: [none]
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: Being poor.
First album ever purchased: 40 Dayz and 40 Nightz by Xzibit
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: Plumb Restless by Hungry Hands from Brooklyn, NY.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Friday lunch buffet at the Gold Club in SOMA.
With Glitter Wizard, Twin Steps, Meat Market, the Parmesans
Wed/31, 8pm, $8
1600 17th St., SF
Most Commented On
- Did they sing kumbaya? - March 11, 2014
- Would be nice of them to - March 11, 2014
- Joe, the $1 is only a charge for using a Muni stop and NOT a - March 11, 2014
- Lee could easily build 30,000 new homes if SF's insane - March 11, 2014
- The ban is only on the city buying plastic water bottles for its - March 11, 2014
- I think you misunderstood him. He said that a - March 11, 2014
- Couldn't have said it butter - March 11, 2014
- And your real name is Shannon? - March 11, 2014
- Yes, Shannon, some of us prefer evidence to conjecture, - March 11, 2014
- Total equality is infinitely expensive. - March 11, 2014