Thomas R. Julin, one of the top First Amendment attorneys in the country, emailed me this afternoon about the election suppression situation in Miami. Julin, an attorney with the firm of Hunton & Williams in Miami, reported that "the election situation here has been just unbelievably awful."
"I spent three-and-a-half hours on line on Saturday at an early voting office. One of my partners was in line five-and-a-half hours today for regular voting. And I just got a message from my wife that she is still one-and-a-half hours from the voting booth now, having been there most of the day. The outrage at the GOP for orchestrating this vote suppression is everywhere. The three primary tools that have been effective were the reduction in early voting days, the elimination of early voting on the Sunday before the election, and flooding the ballot with extremely lengthy constitutional amendments, none of which had any merit, but that slowed every voting line to a crawl."
Cartoonist Louis Dunn puts things in perspective.
Most Commented On
- One and the same broad??? - June 19, 2013
- 'Anon'and 'Jucretia' are cowards, - June 19, 2013
- I appreciate your articulation, marcos - June 19, 2013
- Speaking of a site with good comments ... - June 19, 2013
- Frightening or enlightening? - June 19, 2013
- Guest and anon, everybody's fave ruse - June 19, 2013
- And we're off to the - June 19, 2013
- Yeah...that is the part that Steven makes up - June 19, 2013
- That interview is from a few - June 19, 2013
- Jesus Christ what a boring interview - June 19, 2013