Yummy stereo goods at Dijital Fix, giant sheep party, Soul Clap, Wolf + Lamb, Maurice Fulton, more nightlife
WOLF + LAMB
The high-end hotel parties and breathless press (guilty!) were always a little suspect, but the music Gadi and Zev were putting out at the end of the '00s counterbalanced the dominant astringency of minimal techno with a juicy eroticism rooted in nostalgia. They've still got it. With DJ Tennis and Adnan Sharif at the awesome Forward party, returning to SF after many moons.
Fri/23, 9pm-4am, $15. Mighty, 119 Utah, SF. www.forwardsf.com
There's going to be a giant gay sheep with laser eyes and a slide shooting out of its behind on the playa this year. BAAAHS ("big-ass amazingly awesome homosexual sheep") is the first official queer Burning Man art car, with a booming system to match its woolly balls. And yes, here's yet another BM fundraiser, this one featuring some great local and "other" queer techno talent taking over Beatbox: Stereogamous, TATU V, Doc Sleep, Jason Kendig, Mark Louque, and more, hosted by SF's queer burneratti. Putting a queerer stamp on the rapidly gender-normalizing playa seems like a good CAAAHS.
Fri/23, 10pm-4am, $10. Beatbox, 314 11th St, SF. www.baaahs.org
"CRASH AN INDIAN WEDDING RECEPTION"
One of the glorious monthly Non Stop Bhangra party's grand-slam theme nights: start with a bhangra flash mob in the Mission then proceed down to Public Works, where singer and dhol drum master Ustad Lal Singh Bhatti of Black Mahal whips the simulated "wedding reception" crowd into a frenzy. (Indian weddings are insane.) Dance lessons, DJs, and the Curry Up Now truck round out a unique night of cultural fun.
Sat/24, 9pm-3am, $15. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.nonstopbhangra.com
The Baltimore-via-Sheffield production wiz has a magic touch when it comes to arty-funky disco vibes in a contemporary/wiggy context. (Or hey, sometimes he just drops brilliantly freaky slices like Mim Suleiman's rapturous Nyuli album on us, for kicks.) At Honey Soundsystem.
Sun/25, 10pm, $10. Holy Cow, 1535 Folsom, SF. www.honeysoundsytem.com
Most Commented On
- Lots Of Big Words In Here Put On Your Big Boy Pants - December 4, 2013
- Ambrose, for every Van Gogh there were 9,999 failures who - December 4, 2013
- Sales Taxes Are Regressive - December 4, 2013
- That hatred is both their - December 4, 2013
- You know, Joe, that was a half decent response until the last - December 4, 2013
- By your philosophy, oh sage - December 4, 2013
- One of the things... - December 4, 2013
- Most so-called activists are. - December 4, 2013
- Rebecca, the distinction is immediate and obvious - December 4, 2013
- Mr Basinger is kind of a d*ck - December 4, 2013