Oakland metal faves Ovvl keep it (almost) all in the family with a new album and upcoming tours
SFBG Where's the tour going to take you?
MB Through the western United States for three weeks. Plus, Tijuana — it's our first time in Mexico. But we're really focused on going to Europe, which is slated to be a six-week tour. I think it will be a changing point in our career, getting a lot of new people into our music.
CB We self-released our first album, and I think we shipped more records to Europe than the US. We're looking forward to playing for all these people who've been supporting us.
SFBG Do you have a preference between house shows and shows at established venues? [Visit www.owlbrotherhood.net for info on house shows, including a Fri/23 Oakland gig.]
KB My favorite is Bender's — the best crowd.
CB In my opinion, nothing beats a great house show, though. Playing in somebody's living room or basement. I'll never get sick of it.
SFBG How does Ovvl fit into the Bay Area metal scene?
MB We fit into a few different genres. We've played shows with psychedelic, metal, punk, and rock bands, and those elements are within almost every Ovvl song. Most recently we played with Slough Feg, which was awesome — I think that was pretty much right on as far as matching genres go.
CB I think that the Bay Area has always had one of the best metal scenes in the world, and it's cool just to be a part of it, even if it's a small part. It's a fun scene to be in, because there are cool bands and the people here are really into metal and they're really into music.
SFBG Is there an Ovvl band philosophy?
CB Have a good time, all the time [laughs]. If it's anything, it's just 'Do what we feel like doing.' We play retro stoner metal right now, but if we felt like turning the band into a hip-hop crew, we would do that too. It's not about doing a certain style — it's about doing what's fun for us and what we enjoy most. *
With Crag Dweller
Sat/24, 9pm, $5
Bender's Bar and Grill
806 S. Van Ness, SF
Most Commented On
- Lots Of Big Words In Here Put On Your Big Boy Pants - December 4, 2013
- Ambrose, for every Van Gogh there were 9,999 failures who - December 4, 2013
- Sales Taxes Are Regressive - December 4, 2013
- That hatred is both their - December 4, 2013
- You know, Joe, that was a half decent response until the last - December 4, 2013
- By your philosophy, oh sage - December 4, 2013
- One of the things... - December 4, 2013
- Most so-called activists are. - December 4, 2013
- Rebecca, the distinction is immediate and obvious - December 4, 2013
- Mr Basinger is kind of a d*ck - December 4, 2013