So, Maggie Smith arrives at Beecham House to the varying delight of former operatic colleagues Pauline Collins (comic ditherer), Billy Connelly (randy old goat), and Michael Gambon (nasty old queen), as well as the initial dismay of Tom Courtenay as the ex-husband whose heart she carelessly broke. Naturally, the joint is in danger of closure and can only be saved by the starry new arrival's participation in an annual charity performance. Yes, it's just like the plot of Roller Boogie (1979), and every other hoary "Let's put on a show to save the [blank]" exercise. You know just what's going to happen — "How dare you!" turns to "Oh, all right then" turns to triumph, although the film (like the play) cheats by declining to actually show us that triumph — and it does, on cue, for 98 digestion-easing minutes.
There's certainly nothing wrong with providing vehicles for beloved older actors — but why does it always have to be this kind of vehicle, bland as toast and no more nutritious? Even Dame Maggie Smith doesn't seem particularly interested; no doubt she'd like to play someone to whom the adjective "bitchy" doesn't apply once in a while. The classical canon is full of great roles for fully mature actors. But for the movies, it seems, after a certain point you only get to play silly old dears or bitter crones. There's got to be room for something between condescending trifles like Quartet and the bleak staring-death-in-the-face of Amour.
QUARTET opens Fri/25 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- My point is clear - May 19, 2013
- Depends on who you are I guess - May 19, 2013
- You're in good company - May 19, 2013
- Xorauguynajkmzi - May 19, 2013
- I've come around to nothing. A job offer is a good thing and, - May 19, 2013
- I help provide illegals with income, and am proud of that. - May 19, 2013
- Progressives have developed a sad habit of being anti-Asian in - May 19, 2013
- material research - May 19, 2013
- Did you factor in this area of the equation - May 19, 2013
- So you exploit illegals while - May 19, 2013