Nightlife: Winning with Jesse Saunders, Levon Vincent, Carrieondisco and Doc Sleep, Triple Threat, more parties
SUPER EGO The everywhere nightlife talk last month, as reported by the UK Guardian, was that Berlin politicians had pledged one million shiny euros to preserve clubs from the growing threat of gentrification and rising real estate prices in that once cheap-as-curbside-currywurst berg.
If only in SF. What would you do with all that clubby money? Create a B&T party-bus dropoff zone between First and Fifth Streets and Mission and Brannan for shrieking singles ("Fluorescent Tube Dress Island")? Fix all the bad pants at tech networking mixers? Cork wedge police? Eyebrow wax ban? DJ-with-a–$-in-their-name annihilation? New face for Heklina? (Kidding, love you and your Sarah Jessica barker, girl.) Really, the possibilities.
Dear Housepitality, you are killing me with classic loveliness every week — this one for instance, bringing in Chicago's "originator of house" Jesse Saunders, whose 1986 "Love Can't Turn Around" with Farley Jackmaster Funk and Darryl Pandy (RIP) changed mine and about 300 million others' lives.
Wed/2, 9pm, free before 11pm with RSVP at www.housepitalitysf.com/rsvp, or $5 before 11pm, $10 after. Icon, 1192 Folsom, SF.
STYLE FROM WITHIN, VOL. 1
If you're going to turn it out for summer on the runway of life, you could do no better than to hit up this free musical fashion show extravaganza at the Clift from boutiquista-nightlife heroine Bianca Starr. Slay-worthy looks from Sui Generis, Wonderland, Density Dept, and Top Shelf. Groovy tunes from J-Boogie and DJ Ry Toast(!), plus a performance by blowing-up Bay star B. Bravo.
Thu/3, 9pm cocktails, 10:30 fashion show, free. Clift Hotel, 495 Geary, SF. www.biancastarr.com
A ONE NIGHT STAND WITH CARRIEONDISCO AND DOC SLEEP
Two of my favorite queer female house and techno DJs teaming up for an extravaganza at 222? This I like, and would like to see more of. Both throw down some expansive knowledge of current electronic textures and historical subcultural connotations — but nevermind all that, this will be total funzo.
Love, love, love me some classic Bay turntablism action from the mindblowing threesome. But wait, Shortkut, Vinroc, and Apollo are hip-hop triple-teaming on the decks all night for free — with an open bar from 9pm-10pm? On a Friday night? Whoever's sponsoring this insanity, I will kiss you.
Fri/4, 9pm-late, free. Mighty, 119 Utah, SF. www.mighty119.com
Most Commented On
- Yes, Marcos helped gentrify the Mission by buying a condo and - December 13, 2013
- That is real money in your stocks and RE portfolio, marcos - December 13, 2013
- We didn't have a 15 trillion dollar national debt back then - December 13, 2013
- He's not complaining about them - December 13, 2013
- And if my cat was a dog it would bark. - December 13, 2013
- Anyone who owns, runs or works at a gas station. - December 13, 2013
- It's far worse that hen supports segregation - December 13, 2013
- Ask for something reasonable, and you might get it. - December 13, 2013
- You have a condo? - December 13, 2013
- There's a cost to building more bike lanes - December 13, 2013