Appetite: Absinthe gimlets, fancy 'wiches, sparkling spirits, dinner in bed, and more - Page 2
A night of exotic and sensuous feasting, this is one those meals engaging all your senses.
657 Harrison Street
Cocktail Party at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley
I love any excuse for a dress-up cocktail party, one with fine spirits, company, and tunes. In wine-centric Napa Valley, Yountville's sparking wine queen, Domaine Chandon, is throwing a unique party this Thursday night with three hours of sparkling wine cocktails (created by Nopa's Neyah White - yes!), small bites from on-site Etoile restaurant (which gets a 25 food rating in Zagat), and DJ Dukes providing the dance soundtrack, all in Chandon's lovely open-air lounge and terrace, where you can roam under the stars in your little black dress or vintage suit. Sounds worth a trek up North.
1 California Drive, Yountville
Calling all cooks... sandwich contest where you can win $25,000
With the gourmet sandwich craze reaching an apex these days (Sentinel, Kitchenette, Pal's, and so on), I couldn't help but notice that Napa Valley-based Mezzetta, producer of jarred olives, peppers and specialty foods, launched a Summer-long contest for America's Best Sandwich Recipe on Memorial Day. The eye-catcher? Grand prize is a whopping $25,000 (plus a trip to Napa) and two runners-up win $1000 each. Given the inspiration we have all around us in amazing sandwiches, I figured it'd be a natural to have a Bay Area winner, right? They say, "let your culinary imagination run wild", so now's your chance to create a recipe to rival the great ones we eat all the time. Submit as many recipes as you want in three categories (Cold, Hot or Vegetarian), using at least two of Mezzetta's products, from their peppers, olives, gourmet foods line, Napa Valley Bistro pasta sauces and olives, or Kona Coast teriyaki and BBQ sauces. I'd say those parameters are worth $25k. In these times, to win that much for a recipe is nothing short of a golden opportunity.
Most Commented On
- Anyone who is tired of - May 21, 2013
- I'd like to see that 10% go away and UC be self-funding. - May 21, 2013
- Nope, a property owner never evicts to keep a place empty - May 21, 2013
- We all need public safety and law enforcement. - May 21, 2013
- There's no similarity between an alleged link with - May 21, 2013
- "Housing for the rootless - May 21, 2013
- That's a stretch and, anyway, the law is the law and the - May 21, 2013
- Drugs are expensive and so a drug habit often leads to - May 21, 2013
- Absurd, UC only gets about - May 21, 2013
- Hmm, is that like a progressive who supports liberal - May 21, 2013